Explicit Drawings Included
For Erection Control
Actis is made by Vivus Corporation which produces MUSE. (Information on MUSE is available at this site.) The information on this page is from the material provided with the Actis. This is not an endorsement or recommendation but for education only. Phoenix5 has no affiliation with Vivus and receives no compensation for presenting this.
Please read this pamphlet before using the ACTIS® device. These materials provide visual instruction on how to use the ACTIS.
WHAT IS THE ACTIS (VENOUS FLOW CONTROLLER) DEVICE?
The ACTIS device is designed to enhance erections by slowing the flow of blood away from the penis, which aids the normal erection process. The ACTIS device consists of an adjustable loop that is placed around the base of the penis. An O ring and ball-locking unit allow for easy adjustment of tension.
HOW DOES THE ACTIS DEVICE WORK?
Blood flows into the penis through arteries deep in the tissues and flows out through the veins near the surface of the penis. The ACTIS device works by closing the veins and allowing blood to flow into the penis, producing an erection.
WHO SHOULD NOT USE THE ACTIS DEVICE?
Consult your physician before using the ACTIS device if any of the following conditions apply:
- If you or your partner have a known hypersensitivity to natural (latex) or synthetic rubber
- If you have an abnormally formed penis
- If you or your partner have been advised not to undertake sexual activity
- If you have conditions that may result in bleeding or long-lasting erections, such as: sickle cell anemia or trait, leukemia, tumor of the bone marrow (multiple myeloma) or conditions that either increase or decrease blood clotting
- Consult your physician if any complications occur. Discontinue use if such conditions persist.
- Do not fall asleep wearing the ACTIS device. Tension should not be maintained for more than 30 minutes. Prolonged tension may damage the penis.
- Use the least constrictive tension that will maintain an erection. Excessive tension may lead to discomfort and could cause damage to the penis.
- Frequent use or excessive tension of the ACTIS device may result in bruising of the skin of the penis.
- Allow 60 minutes between uses.
- Do not use while under the influence of alcohol or sedatives.
- The ACTIS device is not a contraceptive (birth control method).
WHAT ARE THE POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS OF THE ACTIS DEVICE?
- Pain or redness of the penis
- Prolonged erection (Please note: If your erection is rigid for more than 4 hours, call your doctor promptly)
TO USE THE ACTIS DEVICE
To stretch the ACTIS device: Grasp the loop of the ACTIS device with the left hand. Note that the end of the tubing with the ball is on top (Figure 1).
With the right hand, grasp the loop next to the O ring and stretch the ACTIS device (Figure 2).
To place around the shaft of the penis: Place the end of the penis through the stretched loop and slide the ACTIS device over the shaft of the penis (Figure 3) until it is positioned around the base (see Figure 5).
To position the ACTIS device: The ACTIS device should be placed so that the loop encircles the base of the penis. The portion of the tubing with the ball should be on the top side of the penis. Grasp the fingergrip end (lower end) of the tubing without the ball. Pull horizontally away from the penis until the ACTIS device is gently snug around the base of the penis (Figure 4).
When the ACTIS device is initially positioned, the ends of the tubing should be located on the side of the shaft of the penis with the ball on top.
To achieve proper tension: Grasp the fingergrip on the end of the tubing without the ball and pull down (Figure 6). The ACTIS device should be tight enough to keep the blood from leaving the penis. Excessive tension may lead to discomfort and could cause damage to the penis.
If the erection is not rigid enough, massage the area behind the scrotum as this may push more blood into the penis.
As the penis becomes erect, the ACTIS device may be tightened or loosened to achieve the desired erection while maintaining maximum comfort.
To loosen the tension: After intercourse or if the erection is uncomfortably rigid, the ACTIS device may be loosened by pulling up on the end of the tubing with the ball (Figure 7). Once fully loosened, the ACTIS device can be easily removed by sliding the loop over the end of the penis.
CARE AND REPLACEMENT OF THE ACTIS DEVICE
Care of the ACTIS device: The ACTIS device is designed for multiple use and should be cleaned after use with warm water and ordinary hand soap. Oil-based lubricants may alter the elasticity and should not be used.
Replacement: Repeated use of the ACTIS device may result in deterioration of the tubing. It is recommended that the ACTIS device be replaced after 6 months of use.
If you have any additional questions about ACTIS, please call the toll free patient information line at VIVUS 1-866-637-5398.
ACTIS is manufactured for VIVUS, Inc., Menlo Park, CA 94025
Caution: Federal law restricts this device to sale by or on the order of a physician.
ACTIS® IS A REGISTERED TRADEMARK OF VIVUS, INC. IN THE U.S. AND OTHER COUNTRIES.
For more information, go to the VIVUS Web site.
This is not an endoresement or recommendation but is presented for education only. Phoenix5 has no affiliation with Vivus and receives no compensation for presenting this material.
|This information is provided for educational purposes only and does not replace or amend professional medical advice. Unless otherwise stated and credited, the content of Phoenix5 (P5) is by and the opinion of and copyright © 2000 Robert Vaughn Young. All Rights Reserved. P5 is at <http://www.phoenix5.org>. P5's policy regarding privacy and right to reprint are at <www.phoenix5.org/infopolicy>.